Braves' Jurickson Profar gets an 80-game ban for performance-enhancing drug use

Jurickson Profar #7 of the Atlanta Braves looks on during the first inning against the San Diego Padres at Petco Park on March 30, 2025 in San Diego, California. (Photo by Orlando Ramirez/Getty Images)

Atlanta Braves outfielder Jurickson Profar has been suspended for 80 games without pay for performance-enhancing drug use.

Major League Baseball announced Monday that Profar tested positive for Chorionic Gonadotrophin (hCG) in violation of the league's joint drug prevention and treatment program.

What we know:

The suspension of Profar is effective immediately. Barring postponed games, Profar would be eligible to return June 29 against Philadelphia and would lose $5,806,440 of his $12 million salary. He is also ineligible for the postseason.

The backstory:

The 32-year-old Profar was an All-Star and won a Silver Slugger last season when he batted .280 and set career highs with 24 homers and 85 RBIs for San Diego. He then signed a three-year, $42 million contract with the Braves in the offseason.

What they're saying:

Profar called it the "most difficult day of my baseball career" and said he would never knowingly cheat.

"This is especially painful for me because anyone who knows me and has seen me play knows I am deeply passionate about the game," he said in a statement. "There is nothing I love more than competing with my teammates and being a fan favorite. I want to apologize to the entire Braves organization, my teammates and the fans.

"It is because of my deep love and respect for this game that I would never knowingly do anything to cheat it. I have been tested my entire career, including eight times last season alone, and have never tested positive. I would never willingly take a banned substance, but I take full responsibility and accept MLB's decision."

The Atlanta Braves released a statement on Monday afternoon that reads:

"We were surprised and extremely disappointed to learn that Jurickson Profar tested positive for a performance-enhancing substance in violation of Major League Baseball's Joint Prevention and Treatment Program. We fully support the Program and are hopeful that Jurickson will learn from this experience."

Dig deeper:

Profar is the fourth player who has been suspended this year for violating the performance-enhancing substance policy, with the others coming under the minor league program and the program for minor leaguers assigned outside the United States and Canada.

Two players were suspended last year under the major league drug program. 

Noelvi Marté , a 22-year-old infielder who was considered Cincinnati's top prospect, missed the first 80 games following a positive test for boldenone. 

 Toronto infielder  Orelvis Martínez was suspended for 80 games on June 23 following a positive test for the performance-enhancing drug clomiphene, an announcement made two days after his major league debut.

The Source: The Associated Press sourced this information from Major League Baseball and the Atlanta Braves.

Atlanta BravesNewsSportsMLBInstastories